This recipe is a family favorite obtaining a stunning 4 toddler thumbs up, 12 puppy paws up, and hubs approval!
It goes through our meal rotation pretty frequently (about twice a month) all year long. As an added bonus it is super easy! It can be made on the stove top in under an hour or tossed into a crock pot for all day cooking. I will post instructions for both 🙂
The ingredients are:
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 16 ounce package of baby carrots
2 8 oz packages of whole mushrooms
1/3 cup of red wine, I prefer Cabernet.
1 cup of frozen peas
For crockpot directions:
1. Add all ingredients to the crockpot in the order listed, except the peas.
2. Turn it on low for 8 hours.
3. Let the magic work.
4. After 8 hours (or so) has past dump in the peas. Cook for an additional 15 minutes (or so) until the frozen peas have thawed
5. stir and serve.
For stovetop directions:
1. Pour yourself a glass of wine, toss on your apron, try to relax while performing a song and dance routine to entertain your toddler (I prefer singing UB40’s Red Red Wine)
2. Rinse chicken thighs, toss into a 5 quart pot cook for ten minutes on each side while sipping your wine.
3. Place all the remaining ingredients into the pot except the peas, turn down to a simmer, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
4. Dump the frozen peas on top, cook for an additional 10 minutes while setting the table and pouring the rest of the bottle of wine into oversized glasses for you and the hubs.
Usually I serve this over my Parmesan Mash Potatoes… Sometimes when I am lazy I just serve it with grocery store bread. It is awesome both ways.